Monday 25 March 2019

Comparing my work to current professionals

Contacting recent alumni and seeing the work that they are currently making after graduation has allowed me to compare my own work ethic. There was a mixed response with the people I have spoken to. Some of the recent graduates are still working full time in retail and continuously making work on the side. Others are now working completely freelance. 

When looking at more professional illustrators such as Scott Balmer I have considered how I need to continue working hard and step up my game. I have had a conversation with him on Linkedin which has given me an insight into his work life. 





















His work has been seen in books, newspapers/magazines and stand alone illustrations. As well as having a varying aesthetic to his work which seems to vary from flat vector based imagery to more three dimensional, detailed pieces. 

His website and blog are both up to date (something I've been struggling to keep up with whilst at uni - being well aware it's going to be harder to keep up with in the future). 

Knowing that Scott Balmer has been working in the industry for many years and I'm still developing my practice I don't like to compare myself too much, but I am well aware that I need to keep working hard and consider the growing competition around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment